Friday, October 23, 2009

Thursdays with Brenda

Every Thursday (my Saturday), I go up to the sanctuary for a few hours to hang out with Brenda. She is a red collar pit bull from the Lodges that has lymphoma; when she was diagnosed a few months ago, I asked about fostering her, but because she has two recorded bites in the county, the managers of Dogtown said no. Recently, there have been a few dust ups with the local animal control officer over allowing red collars with bite histories (red collar doesn't automatically mean they have a bite history) to come into town with staff. In the last couple of years, Brenda has sent at least two people to the emergency room for stitches from her bites, so she is not allowed to leave property. I was told I can drive her off property, but she is not allowed out of the car, so usually I load her in the car and take her away from Dogtown to one of the numerous hiking and walking areas around the sanctuary. Sometimes we go to Angel's Landing, a natural amphitheater on property, where there is grass and lots of shade; when we are there, she like to graze on the plants like a cow. I recently bought myself a new point and shoot digital camera, so last week, when I took Brenda out, I brought along my new camera for some experimenting. We had a very nice time and I got some really great shots of Miss B and the canyon.
Brenda is taking a break from grazing to smile for the camera . . .

. . . and enjoy the view.

After some more grazing by the pond we headed up the path to the amphitheater . . .

. . . where there is lots of grass for lounging . . .

. . . and rolling . . .

. . . and sniffing!

Just another one of Dogtown's vicious, red-collar pit bulls waiting to attack and lick your face off! Have a great week! (All photos copyright Allison Martin. Finally.)

2 comments:

Clair said...

yay pictures! and you're hair is LONG!

Joni said...

Thanks for sharing Brenda with us...keep clicking those pictures.