Friday, November 21, 2008

A Few More Ups and Downs

There hasn't been a lot of new and exciting stuff going on around the Lodges this week, so I am at a little bit of a loss as to what to talk about today, but I do have a few more little tidbits to tell about the past week. It is pretty mundane stuff, but this is what I do and these are the things with which we concern ourselves on a daily basis.
To begin with, one of my special buddies, Marge has decided that she isn't so fond of me or any of my coworkers at the moment. As I mentioned last week, she is being tested for ringworm on her ear flaps and we are treating her with a topical anti fungal solution. There are two ways to apply the solution, either squirt it directly on the sores or soak a piece of gauze and dab the solution on that way. It has become quite clear that Marge is not so fond of being "messed with" in these ways. Fortunately (knock on wood), she isn't aggressively making her displeasure known - no biting, no growling - but she is refusing to get anywhere near anybody right now. We have to follow her around her outdoor run until she seeks refuge inside and then get in there and get the stuff on her ears before she can get back out. She absolutely hates having it done and I can understand, I have a few splits and cuts on my fingers and I have gotten the solution in there and it doesn't feel very good. It makes me sad though to walk into her run and have her go in the opposite direction instead of barreling across her run grinning and then mushing her face into my legs. She doesn't like us very much right now. But on the up side for Margie, we had some absolutely wonderful volunteers up to help us out for a few days and they were staying at the BF cottages so we asked them if they would like to take Marge on a sleepover. I would like to try to get her on sleepovers at the cottages more because she can be a little "leaky" and a lot of people don't want to worry about that in a regular hotel room, but it is not big deal at the cottages. It took a little convincing, not because they didn't want to take her, but because they were going to need to be heading out of town by about 8:30 am to get back to Vegas in time for their flight, but they said okay and they just loved her to pieces. While I wasn't there to receive her when she returned, Keely told me that they said she was their "Heartbreaker" and they just didn't want to let her go. I was really happy that in the middle of this unpleasantness with her ear treatments, Marge was able to have a very special night with two very special ladies.
Elsewhere at the Lodges, we have been having some concerns about Heidi's weight, it has been fluctuating a little bit and she has been having some "poo" issues (not everyone that reads this is as okay with bodily functions as I am, so I will just leave it at that). A poo sample showed some bacteria (I think) that were either not supposed to be there or too abundant, so she was started on a ten-day course of meds and we re-weighed her on Wednesday. Over the course of two weeks since she was last weighed, she has put on about three pounds! We will re-weigh her again in a couple of weeks to make sure that she is either gaining or maintaining her weight, but this was a big step in the right direction for her. It's the small victories. :)
I am not sure what my schedule will be next week, I haven't been told that it will be different due to the holiday, so I will probably have Thursday and Friday off as usual. However, the library is closed next Thursday and Friday, so I will try to find some time earlier in the week to get over here and put in a post, but if I miss it, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments: