Thursday, October 9, 2008

Making Friends

Well, there isn't a whole lot to report since Tuesday. I have another partial day off, my schedule got all messed up for my first weekend, so instead of having Tues and Weds off, I had Tues and most of Thurs, but I had to go up to the sanctuary today for a training meeting.
Yesterday, I helped a lot more with actually getting out and feeding the dogs (most days I have been preparing bowls while others deliver them). Delivering is a good way to get to know the dogs and get them to like me. I have been having a bit of difficulty figuring one guy out, his name is Ballsy (not because he likes to play with balls . . .) and he is pretty hinky with some people. The first day I went in with him he was great, I gave him his afternoon feeding and picked up the bowl without any trouble. So the next day during morning feeding, I walked up to the door to bring him his lunch and he started barking at me like he would eat me if I walked into his run. Ever since then, I haven't gone in with him because he does the barking thing at the door. If I give him treats through the door, he does okay, but it is weird to be able to go in with a dog one day and have him all snarly and barky the next.
I have, however, been having better luck elsewhere. Ophelia, a little black pit bull mix, is quickly becoming one of my favorite dogs to visit in the Lodges. Unlike many of the dogs in that environment who will bark relentlessly at you for attention, she likes to stand at her fence and wait patiently with a hopeful look on her face. She might whimper or bark a little bit, but mostly she just watches and waits and then gets all wiggly when you come visit her. She just really likes to be around people, very friendly little girl.
In the afternoon yesterday, I poop scooped with Jorge. He is really, really good with the dogs, so he was able to introduce me to some that I hadn't yet met, though there are still some that I haven't met. This weekend when a couple of staff dog walkers come up that know a lot of the dogs really well, my immediate supervisor, Michelle, wants me to go on some walks with them and some of the more difficult dogs to start getting to know them better.
In closing, I just wanted to mention that if you have any questions about BF or dog caregiving, post a comment or send me an email and I will do my best to answer you questions.

1 comment:

Fernando Burneo said...

ophelia seems to be really nice.