Thursday, October 16, 2008

Making Progress

Well, it has been a nutty week. I worked the last six days, so I took advantage of the sleeping-in opportunity today and didn't crawl out from the covers until after 11. The weather has ranged from wintry last weekend with temps in the 20's-30's and snow to summery this weekend with temps in the 70's-80's and clear blue cornflower skies. Work is going well, I am getting to know more and more dogs and there are only a few now that I have not been in to meet, yet. This week, I went in with Batman, a Heinz 57 type dog, nobody seems to be able to come to a consensus on his lineage, pit-bull, German shepherd, hound of some sort, and a million other suggestions seem to be tossed into the discussion when he comes up. He can be quite barrier aggressive, he barks and acts all intimidating at the gate or fence, but give him a cookie and walk in and he is pretty pleasant, usually running off to investigate something else. I also met his neighbor, Meatball, another barrier aggressive dog. The two of them going nuts at the doors right next to one another is just about enough to make you turn around and walk back out of the building. Meatball is by far one of the most appropriately named dogs at BF, he is a Rottweiler mix, slightly shorter than most Rotties and with longer hair and a gigantic Meatball of a head (his nickname is "Meathead"). Like Batman, he is pretty nice once you get through the gate (with cookies).

A big challenge of the week (and probably every week) is Marge, a black short haired mix that tends to be a very picky eater. She seems to do okay in the afternoons, but in the morning you have to get really creative to get her to eat. I had some success for a couple of days with a new presentation of her regular meal, she ate it up as soon as I put it down. But by day three she was much less interested. I think it is going to come down to coming up with a few different serving methods and changing it up for each meal . . . we all like some variety.

I also got called out by one of my coworkers for picking favorites (everybody has them) and Ophelia is quickly becoming one of my top picks. I had to have my staff photo taken this week, which of course must include at least one dog, so Ophelia came as my canine cohort. She was excellent, I sat on the ground and she climbed into my lap and smiled for the camera, it was a lot of fun. She really is a very sweet dog and I want to find out more about her. She is in a single dog run, which usually indicates that she is dog aggressive, but everyone I have asked has sort of shrugged and hinted that she is probably one of those that can be aggressive in the Sanctuary environment but in a home environment might be fine with other dogs.

In a final note, I have been able to venture back into Ballsy's run to feed him and pick up his bowl. I haven't gone any further than that (ie: poop-scooping, cleaning) but I am working my way in that direction. Knock on wood that things continue to go well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis!! Sounds like things are going well. Would you be able to get pictures of some of the dogs you mention? I'm interested to see if my imagination still works at all :-)
Love ya
Ben

Fernando Burneo said...

uhh yummy cookies, haha i can also be nice if i receive a cookie. Remember the cookies we use to received when working at the base of Discovery ??
I knew Ophelia was nice, she even smiled for the picture??, haha
i am knocking on wood